WebApp-Problem: Customers cannot comment

Hello dear Sketch team,

I have received a complaint from customers that they cannot leave comments in the WebApp with the links I provided to the prototype of my design as I promised.

I have made the settings as shown in the screenshot. But as an unregistered user it is not possible to read or leave comments.

I had set Public Access so that anyone with the link can view the designs and the prototype. I had also ticked the “Can comment” checkbox.

I now actually expect that anyone with a link can view the designs and comment.

So … what is going wrong here?

Commenting requires an account, even for public documents.

From our documentation, emphasis mine:

Anyone following a Public link will be able to view the document but will need to sign in to their Sketch account to comment.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I didn’t know that before, but I thought so after I received the complaint.

From the user’s perspective (me as admin in the WebApp) it reads like this: Public: Anyone with link can view and can comment. ANYONE. It would be good if your interface here was self-explanatory and avoided such a misunderstanding.

From the user’s perspective (as a customer in the WebApp), it would make sense for the interface to give a hint that an account should be created for commenting. Preferably directly with a corresponding CTA. Simply displaying an error message without help for self-help is not sufficient from my UX point of view.

1 Like

This is completely opposite of what the UI says:

Anyone with the public link can:
Inspect and Download
Comment

This has misled my whole team of UX designers, and caused us no end of hassle in having to go back and have people sign up for accounts when we thought the UI was telling us that if they just have the public link, they can comment.

2 Likes

@eaugustine Thank you for the feedback, and sorry for the frustration and confusion this has caused.

I can appreciate how the labelling of these options isn’t clear around the requirement that a user must have an account to comment. I’ve discussed this with the team this morning, and we will make this clearer.

3 Likes