Yes, you read that right — we’re working on Smart Layout in groups. It’s not done yet, but we wanted to give you a chance to try it earlier and listen to your feedback, as we said we’d do, so we’ve launched it as an Experimental feature.
How to try Smart Layout in Groups:
- You must use v96 or later of the Mac app. Note that some features listed below may only available in the latest Beta
- Going to Sketch > Experimental Features… and enable Smart Layout in Groups.
- You’ll now see Layout panel in the Inspector if a group is selected.
Smart Layout will trigger when changes are made to existing layers in a group with Smart Layout. Specifically, when:
- Deleting layers
- Resizing layers
- Adjusting spacing with Smart Distribute
- Editing text layers’ content or font properties
- Swapping or resizing symbols to fit
Smart Layout will now also trigger when new layers are added to a group with Smart Layout. Specifically, when:
- Duplicating a layer with Duplicate (⌘D).
- When duplicating, if the layer is part an evenly-spaced group, that spacing will apply to the newly duplicated layer as well.
- Adding a layer to the group, by dragging it from outside the group into the group and holding Control (⌃) to drop it in.
Also included in this version:
- Fixed: When creating a Symbol from a group, or detaching a Symbol into a group, the Smart Layout properties will carry over.
- Fixed: When changing a Text layer’s Auto Width / Auto Height / Fixed Size property and this changes its size, it will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Improved: We now make it consistently clear which Layers have Smart Layout via an icon in the Layer List.
- New: And finally, a few people asked, “Why couldn’t Smart Layout apply to whole Artboards?” — and luckily for you, we were already working on it. You can apply Smart Layout for Artboards just like any Symbol or group.
- New: Sometimes, you want to make some changes in a group with Smart Layout without immediately affecting other layers. Now, you can pause Smart Layout temporarily via Layer > Layout > Pause Smart Layout (⌥⌘L). When you clear your selection, Smart Layout will automatically resume.
- New: When duplicating a layer in a group with Smart Layout with Option-drag, it’s now possible to insert the duplicated layer into the group, just like inserting from the outside.
- Changed: We’ve reversed the behavior for dragging layers into a group with Smart Layout. Now, layers will be inserted by default when you drag them over a group with Smart Layout, but you can use the Control key to ignore this.
- Improved: Adjusting spacing with Smart Distribute handles of a group will now respect the layout direction.
- Improved: The Layer > Layout menu is now available for Groups and Artboards via the menu bar.
- Fixed: Changes to symbol instances will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: When converting a Symbol source to an Artboard, the Smart Layout properties will carry over.
- Fixed: Using the Scale tool will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Adjusting text properties by dragging on their Inspector labels will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Deleting the first layer in a group will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Resizing a layer with locked proportions on the opposite axis to the layout direction will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Editing text will now always trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Resizing layers nested in a mixed-layout environment — for example, a layer in a Horizontal group nested inside a Vertical group — will now correctly trigger Smart Layout.
- Improved: We’ve greatly improved Smart Layout behavior when deleting layers, so you’ll get more expected results.
- New: We’ve added keyboard shortcuts to control Smart Layout. Select a group or Artboard and press ⌘L. Then, press ← H → or ↑ V ↓ to set layout direction, L to remove layout, or any other key to cancel the operation. Also, you can do this on a selection of multiple non-group layers, or a mix of layers and groups, and your selection will be automatically wrapped in a group for you.
- New: Swapping images will now trigger Smart Layout. You can now also choose a sizing option for the swapped image.
- New: When you enter a new value for a layer’s size or position in a group with Smart Layout, Foresight will now also include any sibling layers (which may be affected by the new value).
- Improved: Copy and paste now works like duplicate by taking into account layout direction when pasting. When pasting into an evenly-spaced group, the spacing is taken into account as well.
- Fixed: Fixes Inspector controls in the Layout panel when selecting multiple groups with Smart Layout.
- Fixed: Resizing a layer in a group with Smart Layout using ⌘ or ⇧⌘ and the arrow keys will now trigger Smart Layout.
- Fixed: When creating a Symbol from an Artboard with Smart Layout, the current layout option will be pre-filled in the Create Symbol dialog.
- Fixed: Fixes an issue where, if Smart Layout was temporarily paused, using ⌥-Drag to duplicate a layer inside a group with Smart Layout would place the duplicate at the top of the layer hierarchy, instead of at the same level of the original.
- Smart Layout in groups fails to trigger when adjusting spacing with Smart Distribute on multi-selections of its layers.
Simply reply to this topic. If you can, attach a screen recording — that helps us the most.