We’ve just released a new Mac update with something we hope you’ll love. You can open the Mac app and update right now, or read on to learn a little more…
This headline of this release is a much-requested feature: Smart Layout outside of Symbols. If you’ve been trying out the Smart Layout in Groups Experimental feature (and if you did — thank you!), you’ll already be familiar with this. There’s a lot to cover, so I’ll let @joseph walk you through it instead:
The following items are all based on common requests you’ve sent to our CS team, who have been working hand-in-hand with a dedicated group of engineers to resolve them:
- Some folks wanted to set a shortcut for Size Instance to Fit Content, so we’ve added that Inspector control as a menu item. Now you can create a shortcut for it via your macOS Keyboard settings.
- Another common request was to add a way to enable/disable all overrides for a Symbol source from the Inspector, so we’ve added that too. A real time-saver, this one!
- If you’ve ever found yourself staring a beach ball because you tried to copy and paste a large Artboard between pages or Artboards, this update should put a stop to that and speed up that process significantly.
- Using Enter and Shift-Enter should now consistently create a new line when you’re editing text on the Canvas, in the Inspector or in comments. Command-Enter will submit your text change. Also, text fields should now resize more consistently as you edit.
- If you hide your Collaborator’s names and cursors in a document you’re all working in, you probably don’t want to see their selections either, right? So we’ve hidden those as well now.
- When you swap Symbol instances for the first time, the Swap at Original Size option is now unchecked.
As always, you can find all the release notes — including a full list of bug fixes — at sketch.com/releases/mac/.
We’re already hard at work on the next release and will have a beta to share here with you all soon. In the meantime, you can always suggest an idea or share an issue. We read everything you post and hopefully this release shows that!