Workspace file not updating in web view - any suggestions?

Hey there!

I’ve been having a bit of trouble with my Workspace file lately. It hasn’t been updating in the web view since yesterday.

I’m making changes on my end, and they’re saving perfectly in Sketch, but when the developer checks, they’re still seeing a version from 20 hours ago in their browser. We tried incognito mode, but no luck there either.

Any chance someone could lend a hand with this?

1 Like

I think I got it sorted out. I ended up clicking on ‘File > Create Version…’, but honestly, I’m still a bit puzzled as to why that did the trick.

Hi @damiandmowski!

Yeah, this is due to how Sketch works when saving the document. Once you’ve created and saved a document in your Workspace for the first time, there’s no need to keep using File > Save or cmd + S, since the document is being saved in the Workspace as you edit it.

However, when you want to show your progress in the Workspace, you must create a version that will appear there. That will ensure that the allowed editors see your progress.

Then, if you also want Viewers and Guests to see the document, you have to star a version. That’s a way to prevent them from seeing other versions you are not interested in and keep control of what people outside the Workspace will see.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me!

This file has been in use since January 2024, and this is the first time we’ve run into this hiccup. Normally, closing Sketch would automatically save and update it for the developer in the browser version.

I know there was a big update with version 100, so I figured that might be the reason why I had to manually click on ‘File > Create Version…’

Right ?

Hi @damiandmowski,

I’m realizing I omitted an important part in my explanation: if a colleague is looking at the file on the web and you want them to see the last version saved, they can click on this orange button to reveal the most recent changes you made:

This way, they can see these changes without the need to create versions on your side.

I hope this helps!

Alright, I’ve got the whole problem sorted out now, I think.

Turns out, I accidentally starred the version from 20 hours ago, and that’s what caused all the confusion. Once I removed it, everything went back to the way I wanted.

Thanks for offering to help out!

2 Likes