Prototype - Artboard color being shown in instance

I have an issue where the artboard color of a symbol is being shown in the instance even when I have disabled this in the inspector panel. See screen recording here:

Sample file here also:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mpgurc5pmdytsmmoom03r/Prototype-Artboard-color-instance-issue.sketch?rlkey=14lz28cl9oi5vrpyxeroqddgg&dl=0

MacOS 12.7.5
Sketch 100.2

Would be super grateful if someone could confirm if this is a bug

Hey Mark,

It seems the video is not loading (if you want to reupload) but I’ll take a look anyways at your file. Thanks for sharing it

I assumed it would be large to upload and thought it would render a link !! How do i shgare a link to a video without it trying to render a video ?

Hi Mark.
It should be noted that the “Include in Export” checkbox here applies only to assets exported in the form of PNGs, SVGs, etc. when you make that asset exportable at the bottom of the Inspector.
It does not apply to how Artboards appear in the Prototype player.

CleanShot 2024-07-23 at 13.59.27

But I have taken note of your expectation here, and I will go back to the team to discuss this.
Thanks.

Hi Brett, Yeah I understand but this is in reference to the “include in instances” rather than the “include in export”

Aah, right. Apologies. The “Include in Instances” bit refers to any Symbol Instances placed in the Sketch document, but still also doesn’t apply to the Prototype player itself.
I can definitely see your point here, so I will make sure to raise this issue to see if anything can be done.

No problem, So the symbol instance settings are not applicable when viewing in the prototype player is that correct ? That means that the prototype wont actually reflect whats on the canvas ! which is the single point of a prototype !

I also am not able to see the video, so am working on some assumptions here, based on the accompanying text only. But I think I understand the issue better now, and there are definitely improvements that can be made here. Leave this with me, and I will arrange to have this resolved.

Thanks Brett,
I have linked the sketch file under the video link also.
If you right click the video and inspect it you can view the link and download the video also. (I dont know why it rendered it as a video and then wont play it - file size perhaps !!)

I feel like this issue (if it is as you said) combined with the color profile issue
here Prototype preview colors are muted (not adopting P3 settings?) is huge and almost makes protoypes redundent. The prototype needs to reflect whats on the canvas in terms of layer arrangement, colors, etc.

( I say that as I have spent a huge amount of time on this current project making every component clickable, scrollable etc so the prototype feels like the real thing before development begins)

I appreciate your efforts in getting a fix on this asap.

1 Like

So I’ve looked further into this, and it seems that there is a valid reason why you are experiencing this. I’ve made a screen-recording here, which hopefully helps clarify the issue. Please do let me know if anything is not clear, or if you need further help on this, and I’ll be happy to help further.

But in addition to this, I’m speaking to the developers now to see if something can be done in a future update, so that you could potentially still be able to control whether Overlay Artboard backgrounds get included in the Prototype or not. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks @Brett, looking into this now (but now found a bug that crashes sketch every time)
Ill report it via the email address.

*Changing a symbol from Overlay to Screen and opening the prototype crashes Sketch.

1 Like