Autolayout width and height at once

I would like to have the option to autolayout symbols/groups in both directions (height and width) at once, either from a given corner or from the center. This would help avoid issues where content doesn’t fit properly into a symbol if it has different sizes on both axes.

I thought about fitting the functionality into Sketch UI without rebuilding the whole thing. What do you think?

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 17.10.01

Hi @Treword and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, Smart Layout only adapts on the axis that you chose (Horizontal or Vertical), and isn’t capable on adjusting on both at this time.

I encourage you to suggest that as an idea right here in the forum!

Thanks for letting me know. I belive it’s a basic type of feature, do you have it on your roadmap? Any ETA?

No ETA at this point, no. We’re actively working on Smart Layout — see Experimental feature: Smart Layout in groups — and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. We agree this is an important feature, and have discussions about it, but haven’t gotten our hands dirty on it yet.

Moved part of the conversation from the closed Ask the Community topic here for visibility.

This is not the right approach from the beginning. The symbol should stretch either horizontally or vertically. And from which side it should do this, must be set in the layout with “Resizing”. And not enough settings for the maximum stretch length/height and whether to allow stretching in the opposite direction when it is reached.