If there’s one thing designs and designers have in common, it’s having many, many layers! Some people are serious about naming their layers™️, while others are fine figuring out the difference between “Rectangle” and “Rectangle 1234”.
Whatever it may be, layers tell us a lot about a designer and the design itself — making them a great learning tool. So we have a proposal…Let’s reveal our layers
- This was an interactive Prototype we showed at a convention (La Feria del Diseño 2022 — Medellin, Colombia) to showcase Sketch, its very intuitive UI and get people familiarized with it!
- Fun Fact: Some people asked to see the app outside of the Prototype, and they were curious about the folders with “Screen Shot…”
- It was the perfect opportunity to tell them about Masks, how the Prototype works, and the other many cool things you can do with Sketch!
Now, it’s your turn . Drop a screenshot of your design (Layer List included!) below
Great idea! I’d love to join in.
I thought I’d share a recent app icon that I did – or rather, that I re-did in sketch, from one done a looooong time ago in another app whose name I won’t mention. * cough, Photoshop, cough *
Anyway, it was a lot easier to do in Sketch.
Have a look at some of the techniques involved, including:
- Gradients on paths.
- Motion blurs for directional shadows.
- Off-centered radial gradients.
I’ve included the Sketch file here, so you can have a closer look for yourself.
bolsito-icon.sketch (1.2 MB)
I always have fun doing this type of experiment in Sketch – here’s a screenshot with the layer list included:
Nowadays is too easy to keep things tidy with the “Rename All” option
the shadows on this icon are great @Brett
I thought I’d share another Sketch doc, showing the layers.
Creating the soft rounded edges was something new for me.
Ideally, I would have liked to have spent more time on it, but it was something of a rush job back on Valentine’s Day earlier this year.
Sketch file included below too.
Last Chocolate In The Box.sketch (1.1 MB)
I have always found it amazing how these creations come to be, from simple single layer effects and just smart use of effects and blending modes.
Really outstanding stuff, Bret. Thank you so much for sharing! <3
Here’s a look at my layers for a recent disk image icon I worked on!
Sketch file: Sketch
Hi @artlambi welcome to the Forum and thanks a million for sharing your work and showing your layers! I love the icon!
That’s really awesome @artlambi, thank you for sharing!