Previewing Sketch files

Hey, I’m on Ventura 13.3.1 and my Sketch version is 95.3. I can’t preview Sketch files on Mac. Also when I’m saving new local document it shows wrong app icon. It is very strange. It looks like this :point_down:

Hey @yeb

Thanks for reaching out.

It works as expected for me on on Ventura 13.3.1 and Sketch version 95.3. I’m note sure what the problem could be, there are a few possibilities that could have caused this. Our Support team is happy to investigate these options with you further.

Do you mind contacting them via productsupport@sketch.com?

Thanks.

Thanks Jonne. I’ll contact them very soon.

FWIW, I had a similar issue on three different computers :bangbang: No Quick Look previews and generic Sketch icons for all .sketch files. In addition, Adobe XD was unable to recognize and open Sketch files, even though Adobe officially supports them.

I contacted support and did everything they told me to do, plus a few other tricks I found online. Nothing worked. Eventually I solved the issue by erase and installing macOS. It was probably an app or something I installed on all computers that messed up the system.

This issue has just resurfaced on my Mac :frowning:
Can anyone tell me what do you see in Finder, in the sidebar, when you select a .sketch file? What does Finder say? Is it a “Sketch image”, like on my computer? Or a “Sketch document”?

Hey @tudor sorry to hear this issue resurfaced. I checked and I see local documents as Sketch documents as in the example below:

If I may, I have some questions:

• Is that file a local doc or a download from the web?
  • Can you open it with the Mac app?
  • Does it have an artboard marked as a thumbnail?

Many thanks in advance :pray:

It is a local file, created by me. I can open it with the Mac app and it does have an artboard set as thumbnail.

I’m trying to figure out why all my Sketch files are reported by the system as being “Sketch images” and not “Sketch documents”. That’s an indication that at some point in time something changed on my computer and it broke the way the Sketch files are interpreted by the system and other apps. Adobe XD for example doesn’t want to open Sketch files anymore, presumably because it does not know how to open “images”.

I reinstalled Sketch, I reset the LaunchServices database but it didn’t help.

I think I found the culprit. There were two apps installed on my computer, both made by Linearity: Curve and Move (Linearity Curve was previously called Vectornator). As soon as I removed them using AppCleaner, everything went back to normal. :v:

1 Like

Hey, thanks for sharing this update Tudor! It’s much appreciated! :pray:

Yep, Vectornator does ring a bell in producing unexpected results with Sketch document previews. I didn’t know about the Move app, but I’ve taken note of it, thanks again for sharing!