.png -> .webp It's time

Sketch stores all graphic files in .sketch/images/ as .png. This approach results in our project files being very large in size. Can you convert bitmaps to .webp? Or at least keep the files in the same format they were added to the project? Or can you give us the choice?

I’ll illustrate why this is important. Below is an example bitmap that weighs 33KB as a .webp. After adding it to Sketch and saving the project, the same bitmap suddenly weighs 352KB. X10 times more.

I have prepared 40 test files in .webp format (transparent) at 1000x1000px, with a total weight of 1.9MB. After adding them to Sketch, saving, and checking the weight of the /images/ folder… their total weight is 21.2MB.

Currently, our project files are too heavy, causing unnecessary delays in rendering canvases in the browser and the Sketch/Mirror application. This slows down our work and disrupts our immersion. 90% of the bitmaps in our projects are just random samples, and their quality doesn’t matter because they will be replaced with real content in production, which is 10 times more compressed. We’re paying for a 5-8% better quality of bitmap (which doesn’t matter) with a 10-fold increase in project weight - which matter a lot.

Can you convert bitmaps to .webp or at least, can you keep the files in the same format they were added to the project? Or can you give us the choice?

I also know that there is a limit to our cloud storage in Sketch, but from what I understand it’s not enforced yet. Being able to save on file space using these image types would help there as well. So this is a good idea all around.

2 Likes