PDF import issues and text rotation

I’m having an issue where some PDF elements are not imported correctly in Sketch. Specifically, any PDF in which text is rotated always ends up horizontal once imported.

You can reproduce this issue by simply:

• Adding a text box in Sketch.
  • Adjust the rotation to any non-zero value.
  • Export as PDF in Sketch.
  • Attempt to re-import the PDF into Sketch (either dragging in directly or copy and pasting from a viewer like Preview).
  • The imported text will not match the original rotation.

This is one of those little bugs in basic functionality (I end up utilizing a lot of PDF content in Sketch) that drives me crazy, but despite having emailed support over the last 3 (!) years, I can’t seem to get them to care.

I wonder if anyone in the community has an easy solution, or might be willing to help the issue get more visibility so that a fix can be implemented?

hey @erh2103 :wave:

Thank you for letting us know about the bug. I took a look at your report and gathered more information to assist you. I appreciate your patience while waiting for a response to this forum post.

We have been aware of the issue and have been investigating it for some time. Unfortunately, fixing this would require a significant change to Sketch’s structure, which is not feasible with our current resources.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. In the meantime, we suggest converting PDFs to SVG before importing them into Sketch. A tool you can use for this is https://cloudconvert.com However, feel free to use any other tool that you prefer.

I hope this helps.

Cheers :pray:

I don’t suppose you could put in a plea to the developers to put their SketchPDF library, which I presume handles these conversions, on GitHub? (Part of the fun of having an enthusiastic user base! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hey @erh2103, :wave:

Thank you very much for sharing this idea with us! We really appreciate your input and understand how important this topic is to you. After careful consideration, we concluded this is not feasible due to several reasons.

However, please don’t let this discourage you from continuing to share your valuable ideas with us. We welcome them with open arms, and we will always devote our time to considering them.

Cheers :pray: