Mouse vs Trackpad

The great trackpad vs. mouse showdown! Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but choosing between a trackpad and a mouse is a legit dilemma.

Trackpads are like the jack-of-all-trades. letting you scroll, zoom, and swipe your way through tasks with gestures. Perfect for when you’re on the move, but sometimes a bit fussy when you need pinpoint accuracy.

On the other hand, Mice are all about that ergonomic game. With their buttons and precise movement, they’re the go-to for tasks that need a surgeon’s touch, like, you guessed it, Design. But, sometimes they’re not as portable.

So, it’s a toss-up – pick your poison based on how much you move and how much precision you demand. :computer_mouse::sparkles:

Pros vs Cons

Trackpad Mice
:white_check_mark: Portability :white_check_mark: Very precise
:white_check_mark: Multi-touch Gestures :white_check_mark: Ergonomic (depends on model)
:white_check_mark: Space-saving :white_check_mark: Versatile buttons
:white_check_mark: Smooth-Scrolling effects :white_check_mark: Scrollwheel
:x: Less precision (arguably) :white_check_mark: Customization & Configurable
:x: Not very ergonomic :x: Less portable

SteerMouse

Let’s talk about customization and how to improve your Mice Game™. I (me, myself and I) use the SteerMouse app. It’s a tiny little app that really empowers your mouse and enables you to do start doing some crazy stuff with your device. It’s $20 for a lifetime license.

• Use Mice Chords (the ability to press multiple buttons and execute an action or a keyboard shortcut)
  • Have more control over the speed and acceleration of your cursor.
  • Alternative Scrolling speeds and methods (Up and Down / Left and Right)
  • App-specific commands (Sketch :eyes:) and actions with your buttons!

Let’s customize!

Sketch

Some of the things we’re doing with SteerMouse and Sketch:

• Specific commands and Chords with Sketch
  • Drop a comment by pressing the Scrollwheel button

We’re also using the Chords feature to be able to Zoom In/Out really fast on the Canvas. You can also replicate this effect while using Safari :eyes: :grimacing:

macOS - Cursor speed

Adjust the speed and acceleration of the cursor in the OS. This is particularly useful, since the options in macOS are…limited. :sweat_smile:

Do you have any other apps you’d like to recommend that enhance your experience with the macOS and Sketch? Let us know in the comments, and happy clicking!

3 Likes

Por qué no los dos? (⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞

2 Likes

If I had to choose, I’d choose a mouse, a good mouse. Trackpads help a lot on the road for sure, but I’ve learned to use a mouse on an armrest :joy: and get by.

On the other hand, if you need to do design work, specially stuff like vector drawing, my fingers can’t do that on a trackpad…

But if I don’t have to choose, I’d say a mix of both, but I still have a preference for :mouse:

1 Like