Artboard "is too big to export or to display on the web"

In one of my sketch files, which I last worked on 7 months ago, I opened it today for the first time since then to continue working on it and prepare the handoff for our developers, among other things.

I can’t remember in which Sketch version I last worked on the file. (it was certainly the latest version at the time). Now I opened the file today in Sketch version 100.3 and was confronted with new error messages for artboards that didn’t cause any problems back then.

Some artboards are now suddenly too large to export or display on the web.

I haven’t changed anything in the file yet, just opened it and now this problem is popping up and I ask myself, now you, what to do.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-08-20 um 10.38.41

Hi Christian,

Thank you for reporting this. Could you please share a sample document that we could use to test this situation?

To protect your privacy, we recommend that you send us the sample file to productsupport@sketch.com. Once we have the file, we can perform additional tests and pinpoint any possible culprits.

We look forward to receiving the sample file.

Cheers!

@Cris email is on it’s way

1 Like

We already have it :pray: . Let us take a look :eyes: and we will update you as soon as we have more information.

1 Like

Update:

This situation results from a solution we deployed with version 100 to prevent possible crashes and document corruption.

Previously, export sizes were not restricted, relying solely on hardware capabilities. However, this often led to crashes and document issues. In the recent version, we introduced a solution to limit artboard size in export settings.

When you create a large artboard and mark it for export, you’ll receive a notification warning about potential size limitations for export or web display. This soft warning alerts you to the possibility of reaching a limit.

For your information, the theoretical maximum size is (in pixel) :

• PNG, TIFF: 4.294.967.295
  • JPG, EPS: 65.535
  • WEBP: 16.383
  • HEIC: 8.191
  • SVG, PDF: (unlimited)
1 Like