Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Marc Edwards

Hi everyone!

I’m the author of the recent How to master one-layer designs article on Sketch’s blog. I’m also the designer and co-founder at Bjango. I enjoy actual and artificial constraints when designing, as a way to learn and push the boundaries of our tools. Trying to see how far a single layer can go definitely fits this curiosity.

I’ll answer your questions here, on 2023-03-15T09:00:00Z. Feel free to post questions now. Here are a few tips on how to participate:

• Please ask a question by replying to this topic one time only, using the Reply button at the bottom of this topic.
  • Before you ask your question, scroll down and take a look at the existing questions to make sure someone hasn’t already asked yours.
  • Please don’t reply to anyone else’s post as I’ll be using this space to answer their questions. If you’d like to discuss anything in more detail, you can always create a new topic in a relevant category elsewhere.

That’s it! Drop any questions you may have about one-layer designs in the replies below :point_down:

I like being thorough, so here’s some additional details and background, for those interested.

I struggled at school, and somehow convinced my parents to buy an Amiga 500 in the late 80s, to help with school work. I don’t recall doing any school work on it, but I did get into the demoscene, and played lots of games. From there, I started creating my own very simple games, which meant drawing all the graphics, writing some code, and writing some music. I had no idea those skills would end up being useful later in life.

The Amiga didn’t change my prospects at school, and I ended up skipping the last year of high school to attend an extremely non-prestigious one year design and photography course. Even though I didn’t have a degree, I was somehow able to land a job at a pro photo lab, and eventually moved across to print design, advertising, and photo retouching.

From there, I made a very intentional effort to learn web design and get back into software design. Part of that effort was designing macOS Dashboard Widgets, which is how Bjango began. The articles on Bjango’s website about design predominately exist as the result of side projects, researching a topic to learn more.

I feel this is important to mention, because not everyone is going to be able to take the golden path into the software design industry, via a degree at a good college or university.

Curiosity is a key ingredient to learning. With that in mind, what can Sketch do with a single layer?

7 Likes