[Released] Release notes from within the App

It would be nice, to be able to add “release notes” when saving a new version to the cloud, at least for starred versions. Having to open the website afterwards and doing it there is cumbersome and very easy to forget.

Yeah good idea :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @fab1An, glad to read that you’re making use of starred versions and version descriptions, even if it does require the web app for the moment!

I’d be keen to hear from others in the community too. Are others using starred versions and descriptions for release notes? Do you only really work from starred versions and find the saves/versions listed in the web app in-between these starred versions create “noise”? :ear:

1 Like

Happy to share with you folks that we’re currently working on this. Stay tuned for updates. :wink:

3 Likes

I do find the saves/versions listed to be mostly noise for me. The big thing for me is that I’m right at the beginning of building out a design system for a project, so I’m often hopping back and forth between library files. I’ll be working in one file, realize I need to go to a library to edit a symbol, save that library, then go back to the other file to update that symbol. That one save just to make a minor edit is now listed in the web app as a version.

I would MUCH rather have an option to intentionally commit a version from within the app so that not all of my saves show up as versions in the web app.

Always useful to add some comments when starring a new version of a file directly from the Mac app.
Optional as standard for sure :wink:

@Gabriel merged your similar topic with this one :white_check_mark:

1 Like

like @fab1An, I´m also looking for a solution that would allow to extract the version descriptions. Previously, we would keep a release changelog. After migrating to Sketch Workspaces, there seems to be no way to get our “commit messages” out of Sketch.com

It´s great to have version descriptions in the App starting v97! Writing version descriptions has become so much more comfortable. But reading Versions (yes, unstarred versions create a lot of noise in a large, multi-user document) or getting descriptions out of Sketch (e.g. to summarize a changelog), that is rather tedious.

Frankly, I don´t quite know how to get Version descriptions out of Sketch other than using browser dev tools. Would be great to being able to export the versions list and/or access them through the APi

This feature was integrated in v97. Thank you, this is really great!

You can actually do that via Sketch GraphQL API! See here for my improvised documentation on the matter.

Thanks @rodionovd that seems like the exact thing I´m looking for.

Doesn´t yet work for me but that might just be me having to login via SSO and using a strict VPN.
@tim is there another way to obtain an API key?

1 Like

Hey @fil :wave:

Please checkout my reply on the API thread for additional context :pray:

We want to thank everyone for voting! Below you can find a video of the current implementation from the Mac.

This topic will close soon. If you have more ideas, feel free to open a new topic!

1 Like