Light vs. dark mode

I’m just wondering wich mode is preferred by Sketch users.
I’m a light mode user, but sometimes I think I should try to go dark mode.

Definitely Light mode (system and Sketch)!

1 Like

Dark-Mode. OS, Sketch, Smartphone

2 Likes

As a light mode user myself, I can attest to its benefits. It feels right, and, for some reason, I always remember this wise quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book : “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” :wink: :blush:

2 Likes

I follow system settings, and my system settings are based on time of day, mostly to reduce eye strain. Except when it’s the evening (it gets dark super early here in the UK in winter) and I need to record demo content for you all and we do everything in light mode and I strain my eyes for you all. :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t that the worse scenario?
I mean, switching back and forth.

I really enjoy the day cycle automated theme swap.

While in the office, it gives context to the outdoors. This is helpful during long hours especially. That moment when your software suddenly transitions from light to dark to celebrate sundown helps me recognize time of day beyond just a number.

While on the go, light mode is often critical in naturally lit environments. Try sitting outside, near a large window, or on a train on a bright day using dark mode vs light mode. Light mode is vastly superior in this circumstance.

Conversely, sitting in a dark room using light mode is obnoxious and can be painful, especially if you don’t have a high quality monitor. Features like dynamic lightning can reduce the strain, but it’s still inferior to a well designed dark mode.

Finally, while somewhat unrelated, full system theme synchronization is excellent, especially when using multiple monitors.

Most people I work with go full dark mode. One goes full light mode. I like both. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

How about color accuracy during the transition? I don’t use Night Shift for the same reason.

1 Like

Yeah, if real-time color accuracy is required for your work, you’ll have to accommodate your workspace for that. The themes I’ve built or contributed to rarely require modification, thus I can rely on color accuracy using existing variables.

Not to mention, color accuracy when building for screens is often imprecise regardless, as different users will have vastly different configurations/hardware. Less true when you have highly specific target device, like a single VR headset.

1 Like

For me, I’m in the middle somewhere.

On computers (my Mac’s, Gaming PC) I’m Light Mode 100% of the time whereas on my phone and iPad I have those set to automatic.

For me, I find Dark Mode (particularly on computers) harder to read. The light text on the dark background just doesn’t have the same clarity or legibility for me that dark text on a light background does.

I remember reading this article a while ago that Dark Mode isn’t necessarily better for your eyes (with exceptions of course like reading something on your phone in a pitch black room while you’re trying to fall asleep :smile:)

I find Light Mode better to work in as well (especially with anything that adjust the colour temperature as has been mentioned above) for the colour accuracy but I will switch to dark mode occasionally (when working on a dark mode design for example, as it helps get a better idea of things like colours and contrast).

2 Likes

I try and avoid it! Sketch isn’t the kind of place where we crunch a lot and need to work late very often. We also have flexibility to choose our own hours (within a reasonable crossover with the rest of the company). I’m much better at my work in the mornings so I prefer to work 9–5 as much as possible. If anything, the switch is a nice reminder for me that I should probably finish up for the day!

1 Like

Light mode for me. I can’t get used to dark mode somehow. But when it gets too bright at night, I just slightly adjust the screen’s brightness.

For those who prefer dark mode, it’s now available on the web app as well.

3 Likes

I love dark mode for apps where I mostly consume information, like Reddit or Twitter (can’t call it X haha)

But for working, when I tried dark mode in Sketch I found the contrast between the dark canvas and the artboards quite straining on my eyes and also, when I scribbled or added notes directly on canvas, those were lost or I had to keep switching colors for texts and shapes.

So yeah, light mode for Appereance and Canvas (and System as well)

1 Like

Light mode for me 90% of the time, but if I’m designing a dark mode interface, I’ll switch Sketch to dark mode as well. It’s much easier to see the more nuanced difference between dark values when there’s not a white canvas smacking you in the face :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I also miss a dark mode here for the forum. I have to put on sunglasses and sun protection factor 50 every time before I can read or write here :smiley:

1 Like