Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Sketch founders Pieter & Emanuel

About AI in Sketch, we’re toying with a few ideas, but it’s too early to share anything. There’s a few tools announced but nothing we’ve tried yet ourselves that has floored us.

Well, first we believe that design market is big enough to support multiple tools, and we like to focus on making our customers’ workflows better, more so than pitching ourselves against a competitor. One also has to be realistic: Figma raised an obscene amount of money and we haven’t, so we’re better off focussing on what we do well.
We’re still very proud of our editor, and improving it with every release. From smaller QoL improvements such as we shared a couple of updates back to big new features such as Annotations, we’re not standing still.
We know people are impatiently waiting for for Smart Layout feature to be available in regular groups, and we’re hard at work on that. I think you’ll it when you see it. It’s actually available in the Sketch 96 beta behind an experimental Labs feature flag. It needs more work, but we were eager to share the early version with our community and we hope you like it as much as we do. :slight_smile:

There’s large and small things we do here to make that area better. In the last Sketch update we shipped Document Libraries, which cuts down on the amount of libraries you have to always keep enabled, which in turn makes it easier to find the component you actually need. We’re also in the process of rewriting some lower-level bits there to improve speed. Around Sketch 92 we exposed all the layers inside Symbols and allowed more overrides, including the ability to change text alignment, and we’re continuously exposing more. In the next update you’ll be able to easily hide layers inside a symbol - which triggers smart layout, and add Descriptions to symbols, which then show up from the web app to the insert menu, making it easier for the entire team to share notes on which components are best used where.

1 Like

Hi!

We’re just now testing internally a feature that’s very comparable to what Runner offered. It’s likely to come out soon, expect more details in this forum, we think you’ll love it!

1 Like

If you contact our support team they’ll be happy to help you with queries like that

We’re confident that there’s market for a discerning design tool like Sketch. Also, I would argue the market is big enough that multiple tools can thrive here, and I think we can do that. Regarding our recent round of layoffs, we felt that this was needed to survive and thrive long-term. We wanted to go back to our roots as an independently run company, not one that has to continue to raise money from investors to fund the next stage. We wanted to focus on designers, and the tool we love, not about burning money and always be raising for the next round. We got into this business to build a great app, and that’s what we’re doing.

4 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words! We have already elaborated a bit in other answers on how hard it is to look far ahead, but I share your interest in AI tools and what they may unlock. We don’t have something to share about this right now, but we will no doubt explore it in the future.

For now, there’s many things that we’d love to do that don’t involve chasing the latest hype. We always deliberately separated the Mac app experience out from the Web, believing we could offer a superior experience when you cater to a specific audience; the designer in the Mac app or other stakeholders through the web app. I’d personally like to do more with fostering that conversation and building great tools for sharing feedback beyond Annotations (which we’ve across all our tools with the last update).

3 Likes

While I love the idea, we’re only a small company, just focussed on building a better product. We’re independent and do not have the deep pockets to be able to organise these style of conferences. We think we can reach enough Sketch users online, through our existing channels that an in-person conference risks being just a bit of a vanity project if you see what I mean.

Hello! We think the market is big enough for multiple players. People love to have a war/fight between companies; Microsoft vs Apple, iOS vs Android, Xbox vs Playstation, but we try not to focus on that and just build a better tool.

We trust there’s people who value our approach, but if for some reason you prefer Figma, that’s fine with us. Competition keeps everybody sharp, so I just hope that people can forego the rivalry and choose camps, and instead enjoy that there’s competition, which makes design tools better for everybody.

If you’re comparing with Figma, yes there’s a lot of feature we both have. Some were copied one way, others the other way round, but the end of the day both Figma and Sketch give you a great design environment, Libraries, Prototyping Smart/Auto Layout, real-time collaboration and more.

But I would also argue it’s quite a distinct tool already. In a small way, a distinction I’d draw attention to is our Smart Layout feature. I encourage you to check out the latest sketch beta, and check the experimental features tab in the preferences. You can enable Smart Layout there inside groups (eg, outside Symbols), and it’s quite distinct from Figma’s approach. We believe that the layers on the canvas should just be freely manipulatable, you shouldn’t have to dump everything in rigid nested stacks just to get some layout smarts.

In a bigger way, we offer a different experience for designers versus other stakeholders, and we believe this is a good thing; for someone not familiar with the design system, the symbols, may just accidentally change something they didn’t intend to, while at the same time you don’t want to dumb down the experience for designers, if everybody lands in the same app, then it has to work well-enough for everybody and that means compromises. We like our approach. I could go on, but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello Vincent,

For now we’re keeping the model around but we really think long-term, subscriptions, are the future. It really comes down to a subscription best serving the ongoing development, maintenance and the last few years also server hosting costs.

Many (larger) customers also even prefer a model they know, eg a subscription, rather than this unique model that only Sketch really has. But again, offering features such as shared document storage, real-time collaboration, and handoff, these do not come free, and so a subscription aligns best with running Sketch as a sustainable business.

2 Likes

As you said, we’re working on it! It’s in our latest beta and we’re really liking the way it’s shaping up. It’s incomplete in its current state and you can expect it to become more full-featured before we release it. I will link again to Experimental feature: Smart Layout in groups to encourage everybody to give it a go :smiley:

I can’t tell you when yet, but it’s on our list. First step we’re tackling is building a prototype player which is in theory capable or more ‘localised’ changes, which is currently in development. There’s little point in Symbol Variants if they’re not supported in Prototypes. So keep your eyes on the forum for further developments in this area. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey everyone :wave: Thanks for your great questions! We’ve closed this topic now all the answers are in and we hope you found it informative. For those of you who missed out, I’m sure we can persuade Pieter and Emanuel to do this again some time at a later date. :wink:

2 Likes